Saturday 12 May 2012

Through many dangers, toiles and snares

My toile is sort of coming on ok. I had a few minor set backs. My one week crash diet (HA!) worked a little too well and now my toile is a bit big across my back, but now totally fine at the bottom. Ok, so I really just let out the seams. I've had to chop big bits off of the bottom of the bodice since, according to my tutor, I have 'a short back'. Great, I'll put that on my CV.

But just look at this (horribly edited so it shows up against the white backround) baby, IT ACTUALLY RESEMBLES A DRESS! I know my pleats aren't in line with my seams (I agreed with my tutor that I'd fix them on the real thing because I wasn't willing to sacrifice another stitch unpick on this thing) and the bust is now uneven (I had to take it in a little). But come on, this is my first real dress making project and it already has a skirt and everything!

There have been a few hurdles, I didn't transfer the dots from the pattern since I didn't know what they were (and my policy seems to be, if in doubt, miss it out), I didn't stick to 'right sides to right sides' which I TOTALLY know, and I didn't mirror my markings... These are small mistakes but meant time was wasted, going back to re-mark. I needed the dots to sew the gathers...but I missed them out and pleated instead anyway. It'll be fine....I've unpicked more of this pattern than I've actually stitched. Sewing is a frustrating business!

I also took in the bust, which has made it wonky. So to remedy this I'll measure the two sides, add then half the total then adjust so they're even. I whined at my tutor 'do I have to'. She looked at me, laughed and said 'do you want it to fit or not?!'. I guess I'll be measuring and adding tomorrow then...

I'm really enjoying the class and I am definitely learning a lot. I'm so glad I started with a toile...but then I realised the toile fabric was more expensive than the real stuff. Whoops...



What are you working on?

No comments:

Post a Comment