Sunday 29 April 2012

Pin's Purchases: Buttons

Today I dragged my poor Father into the Barras. This time I wanted a forage in the actual market. For those of you (Tori) who are not familiar with the infamous market, it's in the east end of Glasgow. In its heyday it was packed and a great place for a bargain. I remember visiting as a child and being in awe of the stallholder's Glasgae patter. Sadly, it is no longer what it was, bits of it are now more akin to the late Paddy's Market than anything else.

Anyway, there were a few good stalls to be found, (after my dad dragged me away from the 'Mulberry' handbags, I didn't know they did a PU range...) one of which sold some rather awesome buttons. 

I'm a bit of a button fiend. I was reading a post the other day over at Tilly and the Buttons about 'satisficers' and 'maximisers' and I was convinced that I'm a 'maximiser'. This may be true, but I think I'm also a third option...a 'hoarder'. If I see a button which I think is pretty then I will buy it(and can never bring myself to use it). It doesn't matter if I have nothing to go with it, I will buy it (ok a set of them...) anyway. My obsession even extends as far as buying random buttons from Ebay- as in a lot of 100 which again go with nothing I'm sewing...

My love for buttons stems back to the days of my Mum knitting me beautiful mohair cardigans with shiny heart buttons on. I LOVED those buttons, so much in fact that I still have one 20 years on. I also have kept a gorgeous button I found in my Gran's button tin after she died; its a really nice pink with silver detailing that I can't bring myself to use because its so pretty.

ANYWAY, today I bought some really nice buttons...just because I liked them. In the Barras. See, I knew this post would make sense eventually! So without any further ado...the buttons from the Barras...                                                  



 I think I might use these beauties (left) for the front of my dress.


Or maybe these lovelies (right). I'm a little bit of a Magpie...


 These are my favourites (£1 for ten, amazing!) but I haven't got a clue what I'll use them for (left)


 Oooh, or I could use these ones for my dress? Or perhaps the skirt I'm making?(right) 



 We chose these ones for my Mum because she knits lots of Aran cardigans. (left) 







Any advice on places to find buttons (or button donations!) would be much appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment